Welcome to the last official post for the year… what? You want me to post next week as well!? Can I have one week off? Please?
Believe me… once you’ve read this post, you’re going to want a bit of extra time up your sleeve before the next instalment.
The Inaugural “From the Horse’s Mouth – Somerled Wine Education Blog” Super Quiz!
I seriously hope you have been paying attention!
Got a bit of down time which needs filling over the holidays? Looking for a way to liven up an otherwise dull family get together? Need a few conversations starters for your NYE dinner party? Then this is the post for you!
Whether the answers come from memory or by re-reading some of this year’s posts… add your answers to the comments below (or email them to me). The winner will be taking home a bottle of Sparkling Pinot Noir AND a bottle of Sparkling Shiraz!!
I’ll be back in January with the answers, so you have a
couple of weeks to submit your entries.
- Who writes the “From the Horse’s Mouth” Blog?
- What are the three processes which make up “veraison”?
- Which wine won the best Sparkling in Show at the Adelaide Hills Wine Show in 2017 (including vintage)?
- What name is given to Sherry in Australia?
- How many vintages did Rob celebrate this year?
- Which is NOT a commonly used fining agent…?
- Isinglass (derived from fish)
- Egg albumen
- Skim Milk
- Rice flour
- Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (PVPP)
- True or False. Rob gets his Pinot Noir grapes for the Sparkling, Rose and dry red from Summertown?
- True or false. A grape juice with 13 ˚Bé will, if fermented completely, produce a wine of about 13% alcohol by volume?
- Which colour grapes are normally crushed before they are pressed? Red or white?
- Fill in the blanks… Primary fermentation is the conversion of the ____ in the grape juice to _______ and carbon dioxide by specifically selected _____.
- What does MLF stand for?
- Match the characters of wine (Primary fruit flavours and aromas, Developed fruit characters (or secondary flavours and aromas), Tertiary characters) with where they are derived from (Aging, Fermentation process, Grapes)
- What name is given to a wine barrel with a capacity of 225L?
- What is your favourite Somerled wine?
- What is Heather’s favourite wine and what does she like to eat with it?
- Name one charity Somerled has helped with our regular “Harvest Day” lunches.
- Who is also referred to as the “Father of Grange”?
- Name one common wine fault and how to identify it?
- True or False. Thanks to Lucy you can now find Somerled at the Blinman Hotel in the Flinders Ranges?
- How many times has Rob fallen into a fermenter?
- When was our new website launched? The first day of Autumn, The first day of Winter, the first day of Spring or The first day of Summer
- Rob uses Pinot Noir for how many different wines (in any given vintage)?
- Name one country the Moody’s have visited this year and why?
- Name the four steps involved in tasting a wine.
- Name one “colour”-themed song which was played last Jockey Club packing day.
From the Moody’s and the rest of the Somerled team…